Mutt works OK for me with multiple sets of non-ASCII charecters,
including advanced punctuation, cyrillic, extended Latin, etc.
(Basically everything one may possibly need for English, Serbo-Croatian,
Russian and French).

        $ locale
        LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_COLLATE="C"
        LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MONETARY="C"
        LC_NUMERIC="C"
        LC_TIME="C"
        LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

I guess you could try setting LC_MESSAGES (if mutt happens to take it
for display charset, this trick my work - I can't test it right now).
Tried setting all LANG, LC_CTYPE and LC_ALL to "en_US.UTF-8", but
non-utf8 non-ascii charaters still don't display.
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

I can't seem to be able to set up both LC_ALL and LC_MESSAGES to "en_US.UTF-8" at the same time:
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
$ export LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
$ env | grep MESSA
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C" <--- it didn't change
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

But I can change LC_MESSAGES if LC_ALL is unset:
$ locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=
$ export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
$ export LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

But non-utf8 non-ascii characters still don't work with any of these
combinations.

I also noticed that your LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES variables have
quotation marks around them but mine don't. Could it affect mutt or
is it only locale(1) output formatting?

FWIW did you make sure UTF-8 works on your terminal at all? Did you try
mutt in uxterm?
Yes, as I've said before, UTF-8 encoded messages show up fine, I can
edit text in both xterm and urxvt by using vim in UTF-8, and I can
send UTF-8 encoded emails from mutt just fine.

Thanks!

--
Karlis