On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 10:55:51 -0800
"Paul B. Henson" <hen...@acm.org> wrote:
> [...]

That was with tun.

>> Even if tun(4) is used, packets are processed in-kernel.
>
> Ah, I had thought  pipex was just for pppx, but now I see in the man page it
> says "pipex is used with tun(4) and pppx". What's the difference between tun
> and pppx in the context of npppd then? Is there any particular reason to use
> one versus the other for an L2TP VPN?

pppx(4) creates a interface for each PPP session.  tun(4) doesn't
create any interface and uses only one interface for all PPP
sessions.

Generally pppx's way is thought to be natural and tun's way is tricky.
Old system had had some problems if it has a lot of interfaces.  tun's
way had been used to avoid those problems.  So I think pppx should be
used.

--yasuoka