>> I used OpenBSD back in the 3.x days,

> The last 3.x release was 8 years ago.
> Are you fucking serious?

Yup.

>> but eventually began using Debian
>> because it was much easier to maintain

> Can you please give an example of a maintenance task
> that is easier then the comparable/analogous task in OpenBSD?
> Because I remember Debian kinda sucked when I used it in 1998.

apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade between versions are pretty awesome.

> Seriously though, the reason for me (and many people apparently)
> to use OpenBSD is the _extreme_simplicity_ of just about anything.

OpenBSD is great to use, but BSD's in general are not simplistic when it
comes to package management, hence the reason why FreeBSD is developing the
new pkg tool.. whiiiich is pretty much a clone of what apt does on Debian.

For me I remember when time was spend updating from one OpenBSD version to
the next. So many hours. Debian was a fantastic relief back then and still
is. However, this is without comparing security issues, but only talking
about "simplicity".