On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Stefan Sperling <s...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 01:42:42PM -1000, Felix Johnson wrote:
> > I don't think it's distance to the AP, since the Windows 7 laptop
> > I'm using can connect without problems.
> >
> > I followed your advice and ended up with a lot of data.
> > Even after heavy editing, there's more than 2100 lines of output.
> >
> > To save our collective sanity, I've simplified the output.
> > Let me know if you need more data.
>
> As far as I understand, it looks like your AP isn't answering
> DHCP requests. Perhaps DHCP settings on the AP are misconfigured?
> Perhaps the DHCP address pool is too small?
>
> There are also de-auth frames, which means the AP could be trying
> to kick your zyd0 device off the wireless network.
> Is your AP using a mac address filter or something like that?
>
> It looks like the wifi communication itself works fine.
> Try the zyd device with a different AP. If that works, chances
> are your AP is not configured correctly.
>
> (For the future: Judging from the timestamps you ran the tcpdump commands
> in sequence.  If you run them in parallel, i.e. in 3 separate terminals
> at the same time and show lines from all three from the same time frame
> correlating data from the different layers would be easier.)

I've tried a few things with no luck.
I changed the network name to remove the punctuation.
I deleted MAC addresses from the Surfboard's reservation table
and added an entry for this machine/nic.
I upgraded to 5.5-snapshot from 4/20.
I used an Atheros-based nic (but the firmware wouldn't load,
and yes, I copied it to /etc/firmware).
And then I tried using the Ubuntu 14.04 live cd,
and was able to connect.

So I'm starting to think it's not the nic or the AP, but something I'm
doing wrong in OpenBSD. Are there any other commands I could run
to diagnose this more?

Felix