On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 05:29:41PM -1000, Felix Johnson wrote:
> I used an Atheros-based nic (but the firmware wouldn't load,
> and yes, I copied it to /etc/firmware).

Why manual copying? Running fw_update(1) was not an option?
Does this nic actually get attached by a driver?

> And then I tried using the Ubuntu 14.04 live cd,
> and was able to connect.
>
> So I'm starting to think it's not the nic or the AP, but something I'm
> doing wrong in OpenBSD. Are there any other commands I could run
> to diagnose this more?
>
> Felix

To rule out DHCP: Does it work if you give the zyd device a static IP?

While you're associated with the zyd device and use the wifi from
another machine in parallel, do the three tcpdump commands show
broadcast frames from other machines?

What does 'netstat -W zyd0' show after trying to connect with the zyd
device for a while? Any unexpected dropped packets/errors in there?

It's possible that you're running into some bug in the zyd driver,
of course. Perhaps the firmware we ship for zyd is buggy.
Since I have no zyd device to test with I'm as much in the dark as you.