On Tue 22/04, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 04:43:51PM +0200, Alessandro DE LAURENZIS wrote:
>
> What you'd need is wol support for bge, like was done for some
> other drivers. I believe your 'halt' workaround prevents bge_stop()
> from being run which deliberately shuts down the card's receive logic.
> The BIOS might enable WoL at system startup behind the driver's back
> and it might be left enabled if bge_stop() doesn't run.
>
> I'd recommend getting a separate dedicated ethernet card for use
> with WoL. Currently, these drivers support WOL in OpenBSD:
>
>   nfe(4), re(4), vr(4), xl(4)
>
> More drivers might be added in the future but I'm not actively
> working on this anymore.
>
> I wrote a diff for WoL support for bge(4) in 2011, see below.
> For most bge chips enabling WOL might leave the machine vulnerable to
> potential exploits of remote management features in the chip's firmware.
> Remote management needs to be enabled for WoL to work and is probably
> buggier than windows xp was at launch date (Theo was saying some of these
> remote management systems embed MSDOS... Not sure if that was a joke but I
> don't really want to know.)
>
> The bge chip version this implements WOL for should be safe
> (no remote management) but I've been told this chip version is
> very rare so I didn't bother committing the diff back then.
>
> I have no idea if this diff still applies cleanly to -current (it
> probably won't) or whether it will make WoL work with your hardware.
> Consider it an unsupported gift.
>
> Stay safe.

Hello Stefan,

Your patch is still applicable to 5.4 stable (with only minor refinements),
but unfortunately it doesn't change anything for this BGE chip...

Do you think a PCMCIA Eth card with one of the mentioned chips could be
a reasonable solution? I mean, my understanding is that the BIOS plays a
role in WoL stuff, so I'm wondering if a PCMCIA will stay powered on
even when the system is switched off, like the Ethernet port is supposed
to be...

All the best

--
Alessandro DE LAURENZIS