On Thu 24/04, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:20:34PM +0200, Alessandro DE LAURENZIS wrote:
> > but:
> >
> > # dmesg | egrep DEBUG
> >

> > #
> > (no response)
> >
> > # egrep DEBUG /var/log/*
> > #
> > (no response)
> >
> > Where should I find the placeholder (and the output of the relevant
> > printf)? I'm a bit confused...
>
> The message should be in dmesg where you looked if the function is called.
>
> I suspect the function is never called, which explains why the
> patch doesn't make a difference for wol. I believe the wol logic
> added by the patch is never triggered.
>
> Does the message show up if you suspend/resume?

Some other debug here, and this time with (I hope) more useful info.

First of all, I confirm that the debug messages triggered by the added
printf instructions are *NOT* logged by dmesg (and /var/log/*), but are
instead visible on the screen (it takes a while to find out that,
'cause this laptop has an almost totally broken LCD, as I said
previously).

Now:

1) after a "halt -p" command, the bge_activate function is triggered
with value 5:

BGE WOL DEBUG
bge_activate:5

and the i/f is powered off

2) after a suspend/resume cycle, the bge_activate function is triggered
with the following values:

BGE WOL DEBUG
bge_activate: 4

BGE WOL DEBUG
bge_activate: 3

and the i/f is still powered during suspend phase (I can resume through a
WOL operation)

3) Using an unpatched vanilla kernel, the interface is powered off even
during a suspend phase (so I CANNOT resume through WOL).

This means, to my understanding, that your patch is working during a
suspend/resume cycle and needs instead some refinements for the shutdown
treatment.

So far, great work!

Cheers

--