On Fri 25/04, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:53:42AM +0200, Alessandro DE LAURENZIS wrote:
> > Some other debug here, and this time with (I hope) more useful info.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > First of all, I confirm that the debug messages triggered by the added
> > printf instructions are *NOT* logged by dmesg (and /var/log/*), but are
> > instead visible on the screen (it takes a while to find out that,
> > 'cause this laptop has an almost totally broken LCD, as I said
> > previously).
> >
> > Now:
> >
> > 1) after a "halt -p" command, the bge_activate function is triggered
> > with value 5:
> >
> > BGE WOL DEBUG
> > bge_activate:5
>
> Great. This means we're missing the POWERDOWN case.
>
> Can you try adding this 'case' block to the switch (act) statement
> in bge_activate?
>
>       case DVACT_POWERDOWN:
>               rv = config_activate_children(self, act);
>               if (ifp->if_flags & IFF_RUNNING)
>                       bge_stop(sc);
> #ifndef SMALL_KERNEL
>               bge_wol_power(sc);
> #endif
>               break;

It finally works!

Stefan, really: I'm impressed; this is a great example of kindness,
availability and commitment; I'm an OpenBSD noob (and probably I'll ever
be, considering that I use Unix and Unix-like systems for about 20 yrs
now and I feel that there are still so many things to learn...), but
I rarely received so much attention and competent support in other
communities.

I'm attaching a tarball with all the modified files, 'cause we proceeded
iteratively and it's very easy to miss something; it would be great if
you could revisit the code and prepare a patch usable with 5.4-Rel
(I applied some hunks by hand because they were not directly manageable
by the patch command).

I don't know if you're still in time to discuss the modifications and
commit them for the incoming 5.5; the only thing I can add is that,
differently from what you said initially, Broadcom BCM57xx chips are
anything but rare: they have been, for example, extensively used on Dell
Latitude D series (in my case, it is a D810), so enabling WoL on them in
the mainstream would be a significant improvement.

Keep me informed and thanks again.

All the best

--
Alessandro DE LAURENZIS
[mailto:just22....@gmail.com]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-tar-gz]