There is 0 chance this works on OpenBSD. The underlying concepts that
not only make it possible on Dragonfly, but actually useful are not there.

As Henning Brauer pointed out, this makes no sense if the underlying
subsystems arent taken care of first. However it does seem to make a
difference on boxes with say 32 cores and a reasonable amount of memory.
Provided the underlying systems are taken care of.

the lwkt infrastructure mechanisms used here, are non trivial things,
and are really the essence of the reason for Dragonflys original fork to
begin with.

Lets see lwkt, lockmgr, critical sections, atomic adds, pretty much a
lesson in using dragonfly specific locking in this section of code.
not to mention this is a pretty old version of pf, and is in no way
current, with the pf in openbsd. Uprading pf with our set of changes
to support our locking mechanisms, is a seriously non trivial exercise.
trying to port this to a architecture without the underlying primitives
would be a massive task.

RG

On 07/08/2014 05:57 AM, Henning Brauer wrote:
> thanks for the laugh.
>
> * Loïc Blot <loic.b...@unix-experience.fr> [2014-07-07 10:21]:
>> It's a very interesting diff.
>>
>> If i have time i'll test it on -CURRENT on the two next weeks.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Loïc BLOT, Engineering
>> UNIX Systems, Security and Network Engineer
>> http://www.unix-experience.fr
>>

>> Le jeudi 03 juillet 2014 à 11:35 -0500, patric conant a écrit :
>>> This seems relevant to a lot of interest.
>>>
>>> commit 3a0038bfb239dd522057809c52d7d23dd2134c38
>>>
>>> Author: Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com
>>> Date:   Thu Jun 26 20:40:32 2014 -0700
>>>
>>>     pf - make the bulk of PF concurrent under normal operation
>>>
>>>     * state and ip fragment tables are now per-cpu.
>>>
>>>     * packet paths acquire pf_token shared instead of exclusive.  Packet
>>>       processing runs concurrently.
>>>
>>>     * Any dynamic rules updates will run synchronously for now.
>>>
>>>     * State expiration from the pfpurge thread runs synchronously for now.
>>>       More work can be done here.
>>>
>>>     * ioctl (and also pfsync) paths acquire pf_token exclusively.  That is,
>>>       primarily pfctl commands.  This includes rules updates and state
>>> scans.
>>>       More work can be done here.
>>>
>>> Summary of changes:
>>>  sys/net/pf/Makefile    |   2 +
>>>  sys/net/pf/if_pfsync.c |  85 +++++++---
>>>  sys/net/pf/if_pfsync.h |   2 +
>>>  sys/net/pf/pf.c        | 260 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
>>>  sys/net/pf/pf_ioctl.c  | 427
>>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------
>>>  sys/net/pf/pf_norm.c   | 118 ++++++++------
>>>  sys/net/pf/pfvar.h     |  17 +-
>>>  7 files changed, 588 insertions(+), 323 deletions(-)
>>> http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/3a0038bfb239dd522057809c52d7d23dd2134c38

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Robert Garrett
Senior System Engineer
Technical Projects & Solutions
- --
InterNetX GmbH
Maximilianstr. 6
93047 Regensburg
Germany

Tel. +49 941 59559-480
Fax  +49 941 59559-245

www.internetx.com
www.facebook.com/InterNetX
www.twitter.com/InterNetX

Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Mörz
Amtsgericht Regensburg, HRB 7142

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJTu6ERAAoJEMrvovfl62c84hsH/0HDjGInnL5w8Ea6kaD2pVN+
jk2yJ2wY4iZFKVBbnb0Jn6ZLJK9DoUEtAOszwCIb69PbHNMmW3QkuVzpJj8lZcQy
BCGKuuImjHAR+MSsAASJl09sJc7s50Buo6HX2KeRAMKxkiBu6eBqenlhVYp6SFgZ
JsARhd+C4VJdzCJjzyFEunJEWAKs8dfawpQDeywhKgOeedxl0DnNSlS9Bdn6gpFe
3JuwtRb8Wy6cyt6ZilkNQWWnIa5b+8XMv7n1hNKqbMQRgY2qWjLbq50GuPikMN01
qAj+yrN88rWm980RZveRJJiZ/9UpDonHIvQZiveKdX4ZKXL1UMBjde0Igb8S9w4=
=Kpa9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----