Soft RAID is nearly transparent, low cpu or ram use, it uses some cpu but as
you know 99% of time CPU just wait for bus...
PF+VPN+SQUID+POSTFIX+SENDMAIL+APACHE+PHP ....classical webapp/mail server ? I
guess ?

you may have enough memory with 4Go....higher memory is always better of
course...

Indunil Jayasooriya <induni...@gmail.com> wrote:

If so just not use the fake-raid, disable it, and use soft-raid from BSD.

    If used soft-raid from BSD, does it consume more RAM or processing
functions etc?

    I will have to use this server for PF , OpenVPN , Squid, Postfix or
Sendmail and  Apache etc..

 Therfore I can't beleive HP proliant series use a fake-raid....

    this is HP ProLiant DL320e Gen8 Url

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=53
79527#!tab%3Dspecs

 Mine is a quite recent model DL380G5 but has a real hardware RAID 6 (I am
writing this mail from this server).

As mine you may have to enter into RAID carte separate BIOS than the mother
board BIOS to activate disks & setup RAID-levels
maybe you missed that step or exited without saving setup.

Hmm,  I will look in to it.

--
cat /etc/motd

Thank you