On 8/8/2014 7:54 AM, Matthias Appel wrote:
"HP Dynamic Smart Array is a RAID solution combining a storage host bus
adapter (HBA) and proprietary software components."

You don't want to use this...hell, nobody should want to use this!

The theory behind these fakeraid controllers is that you can start with the fakeraid, then install a real RAID card later and plug in the drives without reformatting. Of course, nobody actually upgrades like that.

I have a bunch of low-end HPs with the 120i/320i controllers under CentOS. I hate them. You have to install a binary blob even under Linux. Until the latest driver revision the OS would sometimes see both drives of the array as separate drives, causing data loss. (I'm guessing it only wrote to one drive, then later used the other.)