Harald Dunkel wrote
>Hopefully you agree that the file name "snapshots/amd64/install56.iso"
>is misleading? Looking at the file name I had assumed/hoped there is some
>kind of upgrade path from the "install56.iso" snapshot to the 5.6 release.

Who is being misled?

(from an outsider)
The overriding purpose of the snapshots and their files and the names of
those files is to assist the OpenBSD folk in producing their semiannual
release
of the next stable release of OpenBSD.
Guessing games as to which snapshot and exactly how the developers
proceed from snapshot to CD is unlikely to be productive. I expect the exact
path is never closely duplicated from one release to the next.
Apparently sometimes the new will not even compile on the old.
OpenBSD is one of very few places not firmly committed to preserving old
mistakes.