trondd said:
> And as Theo brought up, numbering them 57 snapshots doesn't fix anything.
> It just changes the confusion.  Instead of you asking if the 56 snapshot
> was close to the 56 release version, we'd have someone asking if the 57
> snapshot they see is close to the 57 release that won't be cut for another
> 4 months.  The answer to both is "no, probably not".

Yes, neither snapshot versioning scheme helps understanding whether the
snapshot is "close" to release with same version; thus neither schemes
helps with this particular question.  But the scheme where snapshots are
numbered after next release branch is helpful when the question "Which
release will include the changes that were introduced in this snapshot?"

That does not work for the changes that happened after last snapshot
before branching the release though.

So far numbering snapshots after next release branch makes more sense to
me.  That said, making sense to project members is much more important
anyway.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff