>   I've checked my ulimits, specifically 'ulimit -u' under the user that
> this is running as, and I'm only finding that it's 'unlimited'.  As far
> as I know, that means that I _should_ be getting a core file
> somewhere.  The process name is 'sbbs', and I've searched (as root) my
> entire filesystem, not just the small separate filesystem that this
> resides on, doing a general search, grepping for 'core', and then
> searching through it for 'sbbs', and I'm not finding the file that I
> need anywhere.

Probably a uid/gid changing daemon.

% man core
CAVEATS
     Programs which are started with either the set-user-ID or set-group-ID
     bits set, or which change their UID or GID after starting, will normally
     not dump core.  This is to prevent sensitive information from
     inadvertently ending up on disk.  This behaviour can be changed (for
     debugging purposes) by changing the kern.nosuidcoredump sysctl(3)
     variable to the right settings.

% man sysctl
     To place core dumps from issetugid(2) programs (in this example bgpd(8))
     into a safe place for debugging purposes:

           # mkdir /var/crash/bgpd
           # chmod 700 /var/crash/bgpd
           # sysctl kern.nosuidcoredump=3