Hi Damo,

Damo Gets wrote on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 01:08:57PM -0800:

>   I've got a problem with a piece of non-BSD software that I'm running
> on my OpenBSD 5.4 system.  I'm not looking to you guys for help with it
> at all; I'm working closely with the developers on it.  However, it
> turns out that it's not at a stage where it's receiving almost daily
> segfaults knocking it out of the active processes.  Strangely enough,
> though I'm able to get .core files from many of the related programs
> that are along with it, when bad things happen to them, this one
> primary daemon won't leave a core file.
[...]

Just guessing, but it sounds a bit like that primary daemon
does privilege dropping (which would indeed be reasonable for a
daemon).  In that case, did you allow it to dump core?

The sysctl(8) manual contains a very brief entry and an example,
sysctl(3) some more information, look for "core" in both.

In case you are forced to loosen these settings on a production
system, you might wish to loosen them as little as possible,
for example creating a directory /var/crash/sbbs, granting
no unnecessary permissions on it to anyone, and run with

  sysctl kern.nosuidcoredump=3

Yours,
  Ingo