On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Henrique Lengler
<henriquel...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> On 2014-12-23 03:01, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> By the way, how are you accessing the internet now?
>

> My mother's notebook via wireless connection.

Would she mind too much if you took the time to read through the FAQs
I suggested?

>> Or perhaps you forgot to write down the URL for a nearby mirror before
>> you started, so you could tell the installer to get the stuff from a
>> mirror. For example,
>>
>>    http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD/
>
> How this would help me if I had no internet connection?

Do you plan on accessing the internet once the OS is running?

How is that gong to work?

But that's not a question for now, I guess.

>>> When I tried to turn on again, the system didn't boot.
>>
>> That's not too surprising. Although, I wonder, did you notice how far
>> it got in the boot process before it stopped?
>
> This is the point had confusion.
> It stopped on the bios screen.

So, it was booting to the BIOS.

> It even began to load the disc, because it
> didn't recognize it.

Yeah. You have to tell the BIOS where to look or it doesn't know where
to look. If it doesn't know where to look, how can it see enough to
recognize anything?

> It didn't booted because my hard drive isn't more recognized. Not because
> the system isn't correct installed.

This much, you could well be right about.

> If the only problem was the system
> installation
> I would be able to at least enter the BIOS.

Why do you want to go back to the BIOS without re-booting?

>>> discovered that it
>>> only worked if I remove the hard drive.
>>

>> I suppose you mean that it would boot the install CD?
>>
>> There could be boot device order issues.

Or partition/master boot record, or, as others have mentioned, UEFI
issues, although I'm guessing you got UEFI worked out (switched to
legacy) when you installed a Linux OS a year ago.

Something you might try, re-install the Linux OS, but make sure you
leave about half the HD for openbsd. Then tell the Linux OS installer
you will be multibooting, if it asks. But I think you want to re-read
those FAQs first.

And while it it installing, read those FAQs I gave you the links to:

    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#Boot386

    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multibooting

Even if they are hard to understand, reading them again woud be a good idea.

> As I said before, my computer does nothing with the hard drive attached,

Except that it is showing you that is is attempting to boot.

It couldn't even attempt to boot if it weren't getting to the BIOS,
because it is the BIOS that is going looking for the OS telling you it
can't find it.

>>> Thinking that the problem was the harddrive I sent it to warranty to be
>>> repleaced.
>>
>> Definitely a drastic step.
>
> Definitely not a drastic step,

Okay, we'll pretend I didn't say it was a drastic step.

> since my test showed that it was the problem
> and it really was because it worked the first time I tried when it arrived
> new
> from warranty.

We can talk about that later.

>>> I took
>>> 10 long days (withou my computer) to arrive a new one.
>>> When it arrived, I tested and I saw that now it is working. I prepared a
>>> cable connection, and I
>>> started again the openbsd setup.
>>> It sucefully downloaded and installed everything, so I rebooted the
>>> system
>>> to boot my new fresh install.
>>
>> I see from your later posts that you have installed Linux before. You
>> should understand there is a difference between Linux and openbsd.
>> Openbsd does not install a bootloader for you.
>
> Does a bad OpenBSD install would change how my BIOS detect my HDD, and make
> all the
> rest hardware stop working when it is plugged, exactly as it happen when you
> put
> a drive in short circuit?

Yeah. Let's talk about that later, too.

Except, I'm wondering whether I might be able to set the active
partition on the disk and it would then boot for you. If I were there.

The problem, I am sure, is not that the install is messed up. I'm
pretty sure you just

(1) don't have a boot loader,

(2) haven't written the master boot record,

and/or (3) haven't set the active parttion.

>>> AND SHIT, everything happened as before, the system don't boot as before,
>>> can't open the bios as before,
>>
>> How did you "open the BIOS" when you were able to "open the BIOS"?
>>
> Pressing DEL or F2 on boot.

Most BIOSses won't let you do that once they decide they can't find an
OS to boot. It's normal.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.