I fear this is a stupid question, I suspect there's something I'm
missing...

I have a web server.  Some files are binary, some are text.  Problem is,
few have an "extension".  For purpose of example, the OpenBSD file sets
show the problem very nicely:

INSTALL.i386    (text.  Solvable, list out .i386, .sparc, etc ...)
SHA256          (text)
SHA256.sig      (text.  Easy -- .sig)
base56.tgz      (binary.  Easy -- .tgz)
bsd             (binary)
bsd.mp          (binary.  Easy -- .mp)
bsd.rd          (binary.  Easy -- .rd)
cd56.iso        (binary.  Easy -- .iso)
cdboot          (binary)

Sure, the files that have an "extension" can be dealt with...lots of
cases, but doable (fileset is finite and predictable).  But what about
the files with no "extension" at all?  How do I tell it that SHA256 is
text (often useful to have displayed as text on a browser) and bsd is
binary (never display, just download)?

Nick.
(waiting for a well-deserved "rtfm ...")
(and grumpy about this CP/M-MSDOS concept of "extension" on Unix ...)