On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:46:19AM +0200, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:26:13AM +0200, Alex Greif wrote:
> > I am using spamd on a current installation in greylisting mode,
> > and have have problems with large sites that have several
> > SMTP servers but no SPF ip-address ranges.
> > Sometimes I have more than 10 mail server IPs in the greylisted
> > in spamdb, from the same (friend) email address, and the the
> > sender side finally/unfortunately gives up, so that I don't get
> > the mail.
>
> In cases like these, it's probably best to try to identify the likely
> IP address range(s) where their outgoing MXes live, and add those
> ranges to a nospamd table. I think the spamd man page has a useful example.
>
> In addition you can add hosts to the spamd whitelist using spamdb, ie
>
> $ sudo spamdb -a nn.mm.xx.yy

that is exactly what I am currently doing ... trying to collect all
valid IPs an dfeeding them in nospamdb table and adding to the whitelist.

But in some cases, the sender mail server tried so often from different
SMTP IPs, and finally gave up with an error to the sender. Then the sender and
receiver persons are quite unhappy, and a lot of time is vasted.

Another problem with IPs is that the SMTP servers often change, so that IPs get
obsolete, or new ones are set up.

Thanks,
ALex.