> Novice users are strongly encouraged to use packages and not to build
> ports.  Learn the system first, then you can play around with ports and
> disk partitioning, etc.
>
> Sounds like a pain in the butt, but BSD is great in that there is a
> relativly strong seperation of system vs user files so it's very simple to
> backup the stuff you've changed, reinstall from scratch, and reapply your
> changes.

Hi Tim, this is true. However, at some point, even novice users might need to
build a port to apply some errata. If that port is one of the big ones (php, in
my case), they may realize that they don’t have enough disk space.

Granted, there are workarounds. What I’m really asking is, are there any strong
arguments against increasing /usr default size to 5GB instead of 2GB on large
disks? Users which go with the default settings are probably the ones who need
it the most.

Anyway, I won’t push further, since this is probably a discussion that could go
for long.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ve already solved my problem, but I thought it
could be useful to have (in my opinion) better defaults so that other people
don’t run into this wall at some point.

Carlos