Hi,

Mihai Popescu wrote:
What are the minimum requirements for a "decent" SPARC machine? I mean
by that a machine who is able to run OpenBSD as a desktop. I am
currently use a Pentium 4 3.2GHz with 2 GB DDR and it barely meets my
needs. Tell me please the CPU or the machine name, I will search the
prices:-).
if "desktop" includes "browsing" the answer is "none". None that can won't be too big or too noisy.

Your P4 is still a mighty machine as a CPU, but it is single-core and has a terribly long pipeline too: today for browsing and most web-based stuff it is just not enough, even a slower, but dual-core cpu works better.
And you need a decent graphics card too.

The only non-intel machines that could be used as a desktop were PPC macs, but even those suffer today.

For all the rest, including development, compilation, email, newsgroup... even a decently fitted Ultra workstation could do.

I used to have "non intel" hardware for everything, but today it is not feasible anymore. You just need an intel laptop for that convenience. Not only for the power, but also because Firefox & friends often show bugs on non-intel. Furthermore if you do need Skype or other proprietary crap, you need Linux at least or directly Windows/Mac.

I love all my alternative architectures and OS's... but I need to have a standard piece of hardware handy. A pity, but for my even basic needs it is that way.
SSH to your sparc box, export display.

Riccardo