On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 08:53:11AM +0100, Craig Skinner wrote:
> For the archives,
>
> A friend loaned me this while I gave an Unbound & NSD talk in a pub:
>
> TP-Link TL-WN722N "High-Gain 150Mbps"
>
> athn1 at uhub0 port 2 "ATHEROS USB2.0 WLAN" rev 2.00/1.08 addr 2
> athn1: AR9271 rev 1 (1T1R), ROM rev 13, address c0:4a:00:1f:f6:3e
>
> $ uname -mrsv
> OpenBSD 5.6 GENERIC.MP#299 i386
>
> Cheers!

I'm surprised it works for you at all on 5.6. It might actually crash
your machine quite easily because of bugs in the driver. And scanning
is rather broken with this device in 5.6 (won't see more than 8 APs).

Support for this device was improved a lot for 5.7. See the changelog at
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/usb/if_athn_usb.c

There are still some issues, though. Some people are seeing frequent
device timeouts which I can't reproduce. And hostap mode seems to be broken.

If you have time to do some tests (with -current), I'd be interested to
know if hostap works. To test, set it up for hostap mode, try to assoiate
to it, assign IPs, and ping across.
Does the device send beacons in hostap mode? Beacons should be visible
from another computer with a wireless interface in monitor mode on the
same channel, and tcpdump -y IEEE802_11_RADIO -v

Do you see frequent or occasional device timeouts when using the device
normally? If so, can you figure out which conditions trigger them?