On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 10:50:02AM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 08:53:11AM +0100, Craig Skinner wrote:
> > For the archives,
> >
> > A friend loaned me this while I gave an Unbound & NSD talk in a pub:
> >
> > TP-Link TL-WN722N "High-Gain 150Mbps"
> >
> > athn1 at uhub0 port 2 "ATHEROS USB2.0 WLAN" rev 2.00/1.08 addr 2
> > athn1: AR9271 rev 1 (1T1R), ROM rev 13, address c0:4a:00:1f:f6:3e
> >
> > $ uname -mrsv
> > OpenBSD 5.6 GENERIC.MP#299 i386
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> I'm surprised it works for you at all on 5.6. It might actually crash
> your machine quite easily because of bugs in the driver. And scanning
> is rather broken with this device in 5.6 (won't see more than 8 APs).
>
> Support for this device was improved a lot for 5.7. See the changelog at
> http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/usb/if_athn_usb.c
>
> There are still some issues, though. Some people are seeing frequent
> device timeouts which I can't reproduce. And hostap mode seems to be broken.
>
> If you have time to do some tests (with -current), I'd be interested to
> know if hostap works. To test, set it up for hostap mode, try to assoiate
> to it, assign IPs, and ping across.
> Does the device send beacons in hostap mode? Beacons should be visible
> from another computer with a wireless interface in monitor mode on the
> same channel, and tcpdump -y IEEE802_11_RADIO -v
>
> Do you see frequent or occasional device timeouts when using the device
> normally? If so, can you figure out which conditions trigger them?

I use this device daily (have two of them), and have some problems with it.
Frequent device timeouts as you said, already changed the router, wifi
channel, and still the problem.
Sometimes programs takes some time to connect, like when I'm
browsing the web and open irc, it takes some time to connect with the
server.
Usually timeouts happens when I do a new connection, like I never had a
timeout when only watching a video on youtube, it happens like when I open a new
site.
It has been difficult to me to figure out what causes this error, and
try to reproduce it, it looks totally random, some days I get a lot of
timeouts, others I get no one.
--
Regards

Henrique Lengler