Richard Laysell <mlopenbsd <at> xiphosura.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:38:23 -0400 (EDT)
> "dewey.hylton <at> gmail.com" <dewey.hylton <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi all. i’m having difficulty with this board:
> >
> > Supermicro X7SPE-HD-D525 rev1
> >
> > i have several similar systems, each running an older version of
> > OpenBSD for a few years without incident. except this one …
> >
> <big snip>
>
> Do you have Quick Boot enabled in the BIOS?  If so, try disabling it.
>
> I have known this cause problems (on other boards - no experience with
> this one).  Quick Boot seems to do a quick and dirty setup and
> doesn't fully initialise all of the devices.  This may be why you are
> seeing it boot OK if you remove the power - the devices then either get
> reset to their default states or the BIOS has to set them up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

i have indeed disabled quick/quiet boot options to no avail. i've also tried
failsafe mode, ide vs ahci, acpi v1/2/3. the issue does not present with
linux, which makes me wonder whether the openbsd kernel is somehow making
some kind of hardware setting change that is not cleared on reboot. despite
this only presenting in openbsd, i still blame hardware - but am hoping
there might be some openbsd-related tweak.

thanks for the idea.