Kurt Mosiejczuk [kurt-open...@se.rit.edu] wrote:

> Hearing that Linux doesn't trip it, I'm wondering if it's an ACPI difference
> between OpenBSD and Linux.  Perhaps OpenBSD runs the CPU hotter before
> turning it back over to the BIOS on reboot?

OpenBSD 5.8-current enters deeper C states than the ACPI describes. The
ACPI documentation is not to be taken literally, according to Intel. So
now OpenBSD's behavior should be similar to Linux in this regard, and
therefore, you'll see lower CPU temperatures. (With the C states and
mwait features that are enabled today, your temps are already lower
than previous releases.)