You think the master builds are done on a machine that is identical to
yours at home?

Obviously not, but that doesn't have any bearing on what I said.

Build a -stable release on a same platform faster machine.  Now unpack
the .tgz files on the target machines, copy in /bsd, /bsd.rd, reboot.
ta-da, patched machine.  None of your configuration is touched by this
process.

Maybe I'm unclear on what building -stable actually does. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "world" encompasses a lot more than just the kernel and ramdisk, right? Simply replacing just those two alone isn't fully keeping on top of things.