On 09/20/15 21:36, Quartz wrote:
>> You think the master builds are done on a machine that is identical to
>> yours at home?
>
> Obviously not, but that doesn't have any bearing on what I said.

you rejected the right answer for wrong reasons, so what you said was
unclear at best.

>> Build a -stable release on a same platform faster machine.  Now unpack
>> the .tgz files on the target machines, copy in /bsd, /bsd.rd, reboot.
>> ta-da, patched machine.  None of your configuration is touched by this
>> process.
>
> Maybe I'm unclear on what building -stable actually does. Correct me if
> I'm wrong, but "world" encompasses a lot more than just the kernel and
> ramdisk, right? Simply replacing just those two alone isn't fully
> keeping on top of things.

"world" as you appear to be using it isn't an OpenBSDism, so I would
suggest you start at the top of FAQ5 (very top -- 5.1 might be among the
most important but failed to be understood concepts in OpenBSD), and
start reading.
   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html
Your situation is even mentioned...
Reading with an open mind not fogged by other projects uses of various
words and processes or your own preconceptions of how things work is
highly recommended.

When you build a release, you are going through the process used for the
official releases, and generate the entire set of files you see in a
platform release directory on a distribution mirror.

You can then install a new -stable release on your slow hw as fast as
you can copy it over and unpack the tar files, and your downtime is
limited to the time of a reboot.  You can also install these releases on
blank hardware as well.

Nick.