Stuart Henderson wrote:
The 00:00:5e:xxx MAC used by CARP (and VRRP) is multicast. I don't
think you can change a multicast lladdr to a unicast one.

CARP does use multicast yes, but unless I forgot something, or don't understand something, there isn't any MAC address that are specifically assign to multicast only like the IP address range 224.x are? Am I missing something here? Sorry if that's so stupid of me.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have multiple (non-carp) addresses on
the peering lan, ask your peers to setup a session with both routers,
and just use carp to cater for any of your own boxes that need a
static route?

Technically possible of course, economically not however. At $2,500.00 to $4,000.00 a month for a new one at current prices now there, oppose to the one in use now for many years that is grand farther in, ( I was the forth contract signed at the time and in the first 10 active sessions then) I don't see it as a viable option at this time. Not cheap as a choice.