I wasn't able to find such a thing but perhaps I just missed it. I
am wondering if anyone in the community knows whether such manuals
exist for OpenBSD. Manpages are nice but they're not what I'm looking
for. Trying to learn OpenBSD by looking up individual manpages is like
trying to learn C programming by looking up individual functions. Sure
you get a description of the functions but you will NOT get all the
background information like C syntax, semantics, memory model,
pointers, the whole shebang that every beginner *should* know, but
don't have the background knowledge to know that they should be
looking these up in manpages or elsewhere.

I'd like to acquire confident working knowledge in OpenBSD. If no
such manuals exist, then I'm wondering how did you or other expert
users learn how to use and administrate the system, what the best
programming practices are, etc. and have confidence that what they're
doing is what they think they're doing? Surely it's not just by
trial and error and seeing what appears to work because their
ignorance will be a frustrating source of bugs and security flaws?