On 2016-06-06, Kevin Chadwick <m8il1i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,I have non-standard partitioned OpenBSD-current installation
>> > dated before 05/27.I don't have separate filesystem/disklabel
>> > partition for /usr/local/.I have /usr/ on separate ffs
>> > filesystem. Can I add wxallowed to /usr/ filesystem or I must
>> > repartition/reinstall OpenBSD?
>>
>> You can add it at any point.  It just means that binaries in /usr
>> which do PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC mappings will succeed (with a warning,
>> of course).
>>
>> Over time, these semantics will probably change.
>
> If you would like the protection then I don't see any need to reinstall
> btw.
>
> I'm guessing (could be wrong) /usr isn't huge (so won't take ages) but
> it's dead easy to gain the protection by using cp -Rp /usr to /home/usr
>
> Then simply delete the /usr in disklabel and create a /usr
> and /usr/local and copy back /home/usr to /usr and /home/usr/local
> to /usr/local because cp is static and in the / root fs so you don't
> even need to reboot, of course you would have to consider running
> programs read requirements on those filesystems.

So you are talking about moving /usr from its own filesystem to /.
Careful with that. If you follow the auto disklabel defaults, / is
usually max 1GB and after a couple of upgrades /usr can easily get
too big for that (new libraries, new perl versions, etc). I would
rather take longer to do a dump/repartition/restore (or do some
other carving up/rejiggling of partitions) rather than leave a
timebomb for my future self, updates with too little space for
/usr are not very funny.