On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Craig Skinner wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:29:58PM -0700, Austin Hook wrote:
> > Here's a different kind of technical question -- who out there can
> > recommend a Euro zone bank with Internet banking service which does a good
> > job with OpenBSD and Mozilla-Firefox?
> >
> > North American banks generally work fine with Firefox and OpenBSD, but our
> > current account with Bank of Ireland really requires Microsoft.
> >
> > Hopefully, also, it would be a bank that communicates well in either
> > English or French, and is not the worst in the extra little charges and
> > fees problem.
> >

> I've used the Bank of Scotland for years, not too bad...
>
> http://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/
>
> Apart from the web front end running on something hideous:
>
> http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/online/default.asp
>
> Smile is meant to be OK:
>
> http://www.smile.co.uk
>
> UK banks don't (yet) charge fees for personal accounts.

Austin was asking for a euro zone bank.

Check www.abnamro.nl, they have reasoable internet banking services,
also available in english. Authentication is challenge-response with a
little calculator and a smartcard. Site uses a lot of javascript, but
no java, afaik.

Don't know how they handle international customers. For my banking
stuff I need to go once in a while to the branch office, for example
to activate the smart card.

        -Otto