On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:14:16AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> I would be very surprised to hear that people are using
> vnconfig+mount+vnconfig+mount, to add such a file.

I am still using this (unsupported) method for auto_upgrading all
openbsd hosts I administrate. As all are running -current, it means I
use it very regulary.

> And while doing so
> potentially running low on space issues (it isn't just a matter of
> the file fitting, there must be some slop left over because the
> installer needs a bit of /tmp)

As installer has sane defaults, the config file is generally small (from
84 to 161 bytes in my environment).

But yes, it could interfere with installer. I wouldn't report a bug on
it without be able to reproduce with interactive method.

> Should everything work in every way?  I'm not so sure.  My truck
> still doesn't fly.

autoinstall is a great possibility. But depending the network
environnement, it could be not possible to netboot, and so to trigger
autoinstall not-interactively. Fetching file using DHCP options isn't
the hard part in my context: I would have only one host without control
of the network.

but I didn't ask for making it a "supported" method. I know I use only a
trick.
--
Sebastien Marie