Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:17:57 +0100 Sebastien Marie <sema...@online.fr>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:14:16AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >
> > I would be very surprised to hear that people are using
> > vnconfig+mount+vnconfig+mount, to add such a file.

Hi Sebastien, Robert, Theo, Theo, everyone,

Absolutely correct, this had been known to me by reading the previous
discussions and following up logic, but, further overruled for my own
use as inconvenient enough, to make me defer scripting around it yet.
It would be a non canonical option, to the delegation of reliability.

> I am still using this (unsupported) method for auto_upgrading all
> openbsd hosts I administrate. As all are running -current, it means I
> use it very regulary.

I would have too if no automatic option is available to address this.
I am also always running current snapshots repeatedly upgrading, it's
totally the best way to optimise scarce resources, and keep updating.
Infrastructure here depends on auto-upgrading snapshots & I heart it.

For all but one machines I'm auto-upgrading by network boot over DHCP
(and gPXE for the 20 year old machines), it is incredibly convenient!
Per network and location, there is always at least one which can not.

For the machine that provides network booting for others, I have been
doing upgrades interactively manually over the serial line to the BMC
and despite it being slightly inconvenient, I'll hope for automation.
I can absolutely not netboot an edge network / bootstrap machine yet.

> autoinstall is a great possibility. But depending the network
> environnement, it could be not possible to netboot, and so to trigger
> autoinstall not-interactively. Fetching file using DHCP options isn't
> the hard part in my context: I would have only one host without control
> of the network.
>
> but I didn't ask for making it a "supported" method. I know I use only a
> trick.

I also see the auto-install / auto-upgrade as a cool solution to this.

I have two very significant to me use cases, the small personal / work
networks many of us have at least one, others a few..  and the servers
in the data centre that still lack reliably secured access to the BMC.

On own infrastructure with physical access it's easy.  Leasing servers
in the data centre, where physical access is not really available.. it
is difficult to auto-upgrade safe without incurring unjustified costs.
Or increasing the risks just when the hacked up trick reaches an edge.

I am kindly asking for an automation method to the installer for which
I'll always be thankful to everyone reading and considering this plea.
It would be wonderful to use auto-upgrade non-interactively: automated
in place upgrades for the machine that provides netboot to the others.

Thank you for explaining these points again in this thread and for the
opportunity to enjoy self supporting our networked operations further.

Looking forward to non-interactive capable local auto-install/upgrade.

Kind regards,
Anton