On 2017/01/16 15:37, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> > In normal operations NSD _does_ run on port 53.
>
> Yes. But if you want both NSD and UNBOUND running on the same box, things
> need to change.

Not necessarily, because they can run on different addresses. For example you
could have unbound bound to an internal address and NSD listening to an external
one.

> > Prior to the change to make -p an error, but after the dns pledge was
> > added, -p was allowed but ignored with a warning. See the commit adding
> > SOCK_DNS.
>
> On my OpenBSD 5.1 system, '-p' was still allowed, and it had a pledge list
> of "stdio dns". When 'rpath' was added to the pledge list, it was at this
> time at which '-p' was effectively disabled.

I'm not sure how you're fetching code to see this, but if it's showing you
pledge in 5.1 then something is wrong with it, it's a much newer addition.

> > Alternatively you could use the version of dig from packages which
> > doesn't use pledge:
> >
> > pkg_add isc-bind
> > /usr/local/bin/dig -p
> >
> > However, because this one doesn't use pledge at all, bugs are a bigger risk.

(I should also add that it's a much newer version and bugs have been fixed
since 9.4.2-P2 which is in base).

> I thought the whole idea of using NSD/UNBOUND is to avoid installing
> 'isc_bind'.

Well, the tools you're using for this are part of BIND...

> I still cannot see what risk there is on qujerying a DNS on a non-standard
> port. Enlighten me please?

None, if that's what you are expecting to do.

Plenty, if the code has been subverted to make an unexpected network connection.