For what it's worth, I'd like to give my 2 cents.  I develop on a DNS
server so I often use the -p option to test new functionality on a
different port than 53.  It doesn't bother me that the base openbsd dig
has a pledge restriction for only port 53.  Just as long as I have the
ports bind package dig in /usr/local/bin and I do use that for querying
a port higher than 53.  I'm aware of the risk, and sometimes I forget
that -p is restricted in base which is embarrassing.

If anyone does the work to pledge base dig to use -p on a higher port,
that's an added bonus but not necessarily needed as long as there is a
workaround (the bind port).

I have considered Stuarts recommendation to use another address for
this, and that makes sense as well as a workaround.  It's a bit more
work because I have to log into the nameserver itself to reach that
address but I do that anyhow to load up the newly changed code.

Cheers,
-peter