On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Martin Schröder <mar...@oneiros.de> wrote:

> And what if my UID/GUIDs are random on every host and server? Would
> nfs handle that?

Sure.  Why not?

But then, I'm only talking about UID/GID selection.  I'm assuming that
jsmith is UID 2000 on every system, regardless of how he got the number.

Now if someone meant using *different* UID/GID on every system and they're
not synchronized...right, that'd be a nightmare.

The OP was just talking about changing from "last +1" to arc4random.
Synchronizing UID/GID across servers (if you're not using a directory of
some sort) is the same headache regardless of how you pick them.

If the OP meant every server has different, unique randomized UID/GIDs then
that's a separate craziness.

--
andrew fabbro
and...@fabbro.org