I have non-root user on windows 10 that can delete read-only backup files and
folders on NFS.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Kenneth Gober <kgo...@gmail.com> wrote: On
Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Rupert Gallagher wrote: > On problem 2, > > if a
user has group write permission on a folder, it has permission to write its own
files and those of same group membership in that folder, provided the group
permission is set on the file by its owner. If a file belongs to me and I deny
write permission to group and other, then nobody can write my file. File
creation and destruction are forms of writing. This is what I am used to see.
The ability of a windows nfs user to delete a file for which it has no write
permission is a security This may be what you are used to seeing on other
systems, but this is not how Unix works. It may help you understand the
situation if you consider that in Unix, a directory is nothing more than a list
of names associated with inode numbers. Creating a file is actually a two-step
process under the hood: first a new inode is allocated for the file, then a
name is added to some directory, linking to the new inode. You can then add as
many additional links to that same file as you like, in that same directory or
in other directories. A file can therefore have many names and be found in many
folders within the same file system. Permissions to read or write the file
content (the inode) are based on the file permissions, and because the file
permissions are for the inode (not the name) those permissions always apply no
matter which name you use (you cannot have one name that allows writing, and
another name that's read-only). If you want to remove one of the (possibly
many) names for a file, you need write permission on the directory containing
that name, because what you are doing is removing a link that connects that
name to the inode. It does not matter whether you have permissions to read or
write the content of the file because you are not touching the file -- other
links to that same file remain undisturbed unless you remove those as well
(assuming you have the directory permissions required). When the last link to a
file is removed, the inode is deallocated and the file's data blocks are freed.
The rules in Unix are then: 1. if you want to allow users to create or delete
file names in a directory, give them write permission to the directory. 2. if
you want to allow users to modify file contents, give them write permissions to
the file. These rules are very simple, but they may not be the rules you are
used to, and they are likely not the rules you want. But if you want different
rules then you must choose a different system. If you want to use this system
you need to apply these rules. -ken P.S. 4294967294 is the NFS 'nobody' uid -2
(expressed as an unsigned number), which is similar to but not the same as the
'nobody' uid -1. If the files you create end up owned by that uid, it means
your client (Windows 10) is asserting that your uid is 0 (root). It is an NFS
convention that being root on the client should not mean that you get root
access to files on the server, so a client claiming to be root gets no
permissions by default rather than all permissions. The 'map' and 'mapall'
options override this behavior. @protonmail.com>