On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:38:42 -0600

> > Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it doesn't seem like there's a facility
> > for automatically restarting daemons after a crash or similar. Is
> > the idea just that daemons should be designed to not crash?
>
> Yes.  Fail closed.  It is the only secure thing to do.

I agree. There is monit in ports which can notify you to investigate or
work offline but I configured it not to restart the daemons after
past commentry on this list. A script or cron job can do similar very
easily too. Although monit does provide some nice checks I rarely look
at it these days. I use external tcp/html etc. functionality tests. I
don't use ping as that is really an alive test. There are plenty of
hosting companies that can do external monitoring if you only have a
single server too.

OpenBSD also has plenty of redundancy service failover (CARP, relayd
etc.) as do service providers. So one/more can take over whilst the
failed are audited.