Hi Mike

Just to say the gaps in ping response seems  get worse as the uptime increases
ie
with the uptime around 5 minutes the gaps between ping results are around 1 sec
(what I consider normal)
with the uptime around 2 hrs 45 minutes the gaps between ping results are 13 sec
with the uptime 8 hrs 30 minutes  the gaps between ping results are 35 seconds

Output of sysctl kern.timecounter below

kern.timecounter.tick=1
kern.timecounter.timestepwarnings=0
kern.timecounter.hardware=acpihpet0
kern.timecounter.choice=i8254(0) acpihpet0(1000) acpitimer0(1000)
dummy(-1000000)

I will change the ACPI  now to i8254  and report back later on
Thanks