On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 10:44:44AM +0100, Michael Hekeler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> in the past I used RCS on all machines for keeping configfiles in /home
> or /etc or whatever.
> Nearly everytime when I move to another machine I think that it would
> be cool to have all of these repoistories centralized on a server.
> So I thought I should convert all of these RCS to CVS.
>
> Most of my  non-production machines are on *BSD, Debian or other OS and
> when I want to install CVS everyone is screaming: "Don??t use it..."
>
> When I ask on internet for ideas how to keep configfiles under revision
> control also everyone screams: "don??t use CVS..." and instead of
> talking about concepts (symlinks, woring dir,...) most people give
> ready-made solutions with git or whatever is their preferred
> software.
>
> I can??t understand why I "shouldn??t use cvs". Because it is old?
> Hmmm... Latex is old, vi is old, rcs is old... all of them are useful
> and I love to use them
>
> Although I know that my question is not 100% OpenBSD related, I would
> ask here for concepts/ideas how to  keep configfiles under revision
> control, because I know that there are many experienced admins on this
> list.

I guess the devel/src package is what you are looking for.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/src/

  Simple Revision Control is RCS/SCCS reloaded with a modern UI,
  designed to manage single-file solo projects kept more than one to
  a directory. Use it for FAQs, ~/bin directories, config files, and
  the like. Features integer sequential revision numbers, a command
  set that will seem familiar to Subversion/Git/hg users, and no
  binary blobs anywhere.