I've not gone beyond a few thousand servers with Puppet but I can share a
few things.

* initially it feels like a *whole lot* of busy-work to get to a
minimally-useful level

* once there, knowing you can rapidly replace things is good for your
stress levels!

* in my experience the community Puppet modules are almost universally
garbage
  (even when used on the Linux systems they are typically designed for)

* don't split your Puppet code up into lots of separate repositories, it
becomes too
  difficult to do very basic things like "check all production environments
for X" (been
  there/done that, it was an unmitigated disaster)

* some kind of monitoring of "how recently did Puppet succesfully apply a
manifest?"
  is important to prevent config drift

* listen to the linter!

Other than the Puppet community module "quality", the same probably applies
any config management tooling; I'm just talking about Puppet because I've
used it.

I would consider it (much) more important to understand the tools you are
using
than to change tooling to be fashionable.

Also here's some notes I took last year on running Ruby things on OpenBSD:

http://jslee.io/post/151188252217/rubygems-and-openbsd

Pupistry as mentioned in that post is great if you want to use Puppet but
don't
want to run a Puppet master server

John