> I use it on osx: it is a crippled version of the original that causes
endless problems with file permissions. Rock solid for the rest.
File permissions are always hard to maintain between Windows and *nix,
because of Windows ACL's and posix permissions differences.

One person on this list mentioned that SMB is slower than NFS. I googled
for that and it seems to be true,
but article was about SMB2. It could be that SMB3 (supported by Win10) is
slightly faster, need to check.
See "SMB3 Multi-Channel"  experimental feature: https://www.samba.org/samba/
history/samba-4.4.0.html

>  but its package requires x11,

I do not see any X11 here, but some dependencies are strange:
xx4$ pkg_info -f samba | grep "@depend"
@depend converters/libiconv:libiconv-*:libiconv-1.14p3
@depend databases/openldap,-main:openldap-client-*:openldap-client-2.4.45p4
@depend databases/tdb:tdb->=1.3.14:tdb-1.3.15
@depend devel/gettext:gettext-*:gettext-0.19.8.1p1
@depend devel/jansson:jansson-*:jansson-2.10
@depend devel/libexecinfo:libexecinfo-*:libexecinfo-0.3p0v0
@depend devel/libtalloc:libtalloc->=2.1.9:libtalloc-2.1.11
@depend net/avahi,-main:avahi-*:avahi-0.7p1
@depend net/py-dnspython:py-dnspython-*:py-dnspython-1.15.0
@depend net/samba,-ldb:ldb->=1.2.3:ldb-1.2.3p0
@depend net/samba,-util:samba-util->=4.7.6:samba-util-4.7.6
@depend print/cups,-libs:cups-libs-*:cups-libs-2.2.6
@depend security/gnutls:gnutls-*:gnutls-3.5.18
@depend security/openpam:openpam-*:openpam-20141014
@depend sysutils/gamin,-main:gamin-*:gamin-0.1.10p23

Why do I need OpenLDAP if I do not have domain?
What for should I use CUPS if I do not use Samba printing server?
Same with avahi which is zeroconf

Samba does not have any FLAVORs, unfortunatelly.

Probably, you could contact port maintainers and ask them for permission
to create several flavors of samba if you have time to create patch.