On 07/11/18 21:30, Paul de Weerd wrote:

> There used to be external ISDN "modems" (not really modulating or
> demodulating anything, but that's what marketing people called them so
> people would understand what these were in the same sense as regular
> modems were).  These would simply connect to your serial port and
> provide you with a dial up interface that you could use.  With some AT
> commands, these could be made to connect to the internet (if I recall
> correctly, they could even emulate a real 'modem' for old-fashioned
> dial-up).
>
> Eicon was the brand, DIVA the model of one particular example I've
> actually had the "pleasure" of working with.  You can still find
> references on the web.  The web 1.0, that is.

I distinctly remember having a USRobotics ISDN unit that looked very
much like the 'real' modem models visually. It definitely took AT commands.

It's possible you could turn up something on ebay or similar (actually I
see one up on ebay right now selling for about a tenth of the nominal
price I paid for one way back then), so it might be worth a try.

> Now if you could get those to work using ppp, I have no clue.  But I
> think it's your best bet if you want to use your ISDN connectivity on
> OpenBSD in 2018 (which you don't).

Back in the day it was usually possible to wrestle those units into
doing PPP. I think Paul is very much on the right track here, given that
the box you connect has a traditional serial port or is able to fake one
via something like a USB-to-serial adapter.

- Peter

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/