Hello Stuart,

Yes it is correct that the Intel atom is 32 bit i386. Just out of
curiosity why would you not recommend it for a router / internet
appliance application? Not everybody needs 10G Ethernet or AC wifi on
their home or office LAN. Is it a security issue, a performance issue,
or a lack of developer attention issue (i.e. there are more eyes /
there is more focus on the 64 bit code base than the 32 bit code base
at this time)?

Here is the Intel info on these N280 processors in these thin clients.
https://ark.intel.com/products/41411/Intel-Atom-Processor-N280-512K-Cache-1_66-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

If it is a perfomance issue I beg to differ. This machine more than
capable for normal LAN use for a home or small business assuming one
is not generating massive continuous traffic. Compare to microtik
routers, for example. Many if not most routers are 32 bit MIPS based
even today. If it is a security issue due to W^X or something about
memory / execution protection are there not similar issues on other
platforms used in routers such as MIPS or not? If your firewall rules
/ open ports are prudent shouldn't that prevent remote execution
anyway? Is the Atom effected by Meltdown?

I use this machine myself as my home router, although I guess maybe
that is not saying much because I also use a ten year old Thinkpad as
my daily driver machine...kind of stuck in 2008 I guess lol. But I
really don't think most home or business applications really need
anything more than 1G ethernet or 802.11n wireless it is like 1080p vs
4k in HD TV. At a certain point the marginal returns to increased
capability diminish, and diminish at an accelerating rate.

Last year I was using a 128mb RAM 200 mhz Soekris based router. I
could watch HD Youtube videos on that without issue.

Not trying to flame. Just conversing.