On 09/03/18 20:42, - - wrote:

> I am running OpenBSD on my desktop, which is suitable for 99% of my
> needs. However I have to run certain proprietary software, which is
> available on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
>
> I cannot decide which of the three would be a "lesser evil" to run in
> respect with security and privacy. The software (video and photo editing)
> runs best on Windows, almost as good on OSX  and it runs on Linux with
> some compromises.

This really boils down to your degree of familiarity (or lack of
disgust) with each of the alternatives. I recently found myself in a
similar situation.

I run OpenBSD as my primary OS and set that up whenever there is not a
spesific reason to go for something else, including of course on my
primary laptop (blogged about not too long ago, you'll find it if you're
interested).

There is a specific piece of software that turned out to be available
only on Windows and MacOS, Linux was not an option, neither (of course)
was OpenBSD. Macs are more expensive than similar-specced hardware from
other sources, but I'm reasonably happy with going for a Mac (MacBook
Air) in that context. The system lacks most of the oddities that I have
found irritating in Windows over the years, and it comes well tuned to
Apple's hardware.

But that's me and I'm well aware that I'm weird. If you find Windows
tolerable and that's where the specific software runs best, that sounds
like the obvious choice.

- Peter

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/