On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 17:00:07 -0400

> >> I would not try to dual boot Windows and OpenBSD.  There are too
> >> many disgusting viri out that smash parts of partitions.   OpenBSD
> >> or anything else on the disk is a sitting duck once not active.
> >> Don't do it.  The AV situation on Windows is out of control--a
> >> conservative estimate is that there are 4M pieces of malware out
> >> for Windows.
> > Personally I feel this is a red herring. If you are finding viri on
> > your system then OpenBSD helps but could be hacked too. Viri are
> > unlikely with a security conscious OpenBSD user. You are doing
> > something wrong or need to silo your actions.
> >

> Um, maybe I'm not writing well.  I'm talking about a dual-boot Windows
> OpenBSD system, which gets a Windows virus, which wipes out the
> disk.  Effectively asleep, OpenBSD gets creamed.   That's what I mean
> about dual-booting being a risk.

Sorry, I was being terribly unclear.

I meant that an OpenBSD user using Windows should not get a virus or
could handle them if downloading illegal software. I am yet to see a
truly clever system entry in the press. They always rely on user
idiocy or poor setup. Whether Viri with these properties are the only
ones caught is another question.

Additionally I don't see the "think disk". If the partition is
intact then surely it is not difficult to fix and with some boot
loaders like GAG would likely be unaffected. It used to be the case
that the windows bootloader was needed for hibernate support but I
haven't seen that for a while. It is certainly true that the
bootloader/bios itself could be targeted. If something breaks
then at least you know.

The OpenBSD partition can be edited (not very safely) from Windows
and Linux but Viri are unlikely to do this unless an active attacker is
after you in which case you best be careful with OpenBSD too and
hacking not viri will be the worry with Windows also.