Tommy Nevtelen(to...@nevtelen.com) on 2018.10.16 15:11:51 +0200:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:21:37AM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:13:20AM +0200, open...@kene.nu wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Only relying on OSPF hellos effectively makes it mimic BGP with its
> > > keepalives. I will ponder the value of transporting the underlay in
> > > OSPF, effectively transporting loopback peering addresses for BGP in
> > > OSPF. I am not sure that it will make my life easier but will consider
> > > it.
> >
> > OSPF is generally faster at converging after reroute and it is possible to
> > set the router-dead-time to minimal which will give you a 1 second
> > timeout. Also the default of 40sec is lower than the 90sec of BGP.
> > Additionally OSPF may give you multipath routes so the failover for BGP
> > may be not noticable. Also GRE has a way to emulate link state but to be
> > honest if I use OSPF on a GRE link I will not turn it on (unless
> > requested).
>
> I guess the brewing BFD support would speed this up for BGP when it arrives
> and make OSPF less useful if speed is the thing that needs to be solved.
>
> Also I've been thinking about the following config in ospfd
>
> rtlabel label external-tag number
>              Map route labels to external route tags and vice versa.  The
>            external route tag is a non-negative 32-bit number
>            attached to AS-external OSPF LSAs.
>
> What exactly does this mean? As I understand it is to map rtlabels to LSA
> Type 5 tags. But what do you do with it then? Could this be used for what
> this thread is talking about or is it totally off?

If you do this on two (or more routers) you distribute the routes and they
end up in the fib with that rtlabel (note the "and vice versa").

You can do all the things you can do with route labels, for example use
them in pf filters.

And yes, you could also use it to redistribute them into bgp (although that
needs to happen on another router i think):

 ospfd ---type5 lsa---> ospfd --> fib with rtlabel --> bgpd ...
 hostA                  hostB     hostB                hostB

/Benno