Hello,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 4:56 PM Sebastian Benoit <benoit-li...@fb12.de> wrote:

> Tommy Nevtelen(to...@nevtelen.com) on 2018.10.16 15:11:51 +0200:

> > > OSPF is generally faster at converging after reroute and it is possible to
> > > set the router-dead-time to minimal which will give you a 1 second
> > > timeout. Also the default of 40sec is lower than the 90sec of BGP.
> > > Additionally OSPF may give you multipath routes so the failover for BGP
> > > may be not noticable. Also GRE has a way to emulate link state but to be
> > > honest if I use OSPF on a GRE link I will not turn it on (unless
> > > requested).
> >
> > I guess the brewing BFD support would speed this up for BGP when it arrives
> > and make OSPF less useful if speed is the thing that needs to be solved.
> >
> > Also I've been thinking about the following config in ospfd
> >
> > rtlabel label external-tag number
> >              Map route labels to external route tags and vice versa.  The
> >            external route tag is a non-negative 32-bit number
> >            attached to AS-external OSPF LSAs.
> >
> > What exactly does this mean? As I understand it is to map rtlabels to LSA
> > Type 5 tags. But what do you do with it then? Could this be used for what
> > this thread is talking about or is it totally off?
>
> If you do this on two (or more routers) you distribute the routes and they
> end up in the fib with that rtlabel (note the "and vice versa").
>
> You can do all the things you can do with route labels, for example use
> them in pf filters.
>
> And yes, you could also use it to redistribute them into bgp (although that
> needs to happen on another router i think):
>
>  ospfd ---type5 lsa---> ospfd --> fib with rtlabel --> bgpd ...
>  hostA                  hostB     hostB                hostB
>
> /Benno

I might be wrong here but in prder to have ospfd generate type 5 LSAs
one needs both a BGP speaker that announces the prefix in question
into ospf and two different ospf areas in your network?

Or can I make ospfd generate type5 LSAs in some other way? I see that
rtlabels would do it but that implies I have an already existing route
in the fib which preemptively I tag in some way. In my case the routes
are generated by interface statements in ospfd.conf (so type1 and 2
LSAs).