On 2019-01-08, Janne Johansson <icepic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Den tis 8 jan. 2019 kl 14:26 skrev Mihai Popescu <mih...@gmail.com>:
>
>> So, I still have two questions about mirrors:
>> Can a mirror limit your download speed ?
>
> Sure they could, I don't think many do though.
>
>> Do a CDN url point to an existing mirror, or is it a diffeent server?
>
> Different servers, spread around the world and you get a dns response
> that is trying to be
> close to you.

However: the CDNs are just front-ending existing servers ("origin
servers"). If they have something in cache they'll be fast; if not
they have to fetch it themselves, often from the other side of the
world (further/slower than you'd get by picking a local mirror
that actually has the files).

snapshots in particular are often not going to be in their cache.