On 08.01.19 14:24, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use to retrieve my install sets from a mirror, after I start the
> install procedure with minirootxx.fs
>
> Since the mirrors in my country are updating late and they have some
> problems in doing it right, I used ftp.hostserver.de. The download was
> working fine, something around 3MBps. This mirror started few days ago
> to provide me only with 64KBps constantly, no matter if i do http or
> https.
>
> I tried cdn.openbsd.org too, the download is super fast for me, like
> 30MBps. Still, sometimes it drops to 64KBps too, and stays there. I've
> read some articles about CDN networks, but I am not able to see the
> big picture.
>
> So, I still have two questions about mirrors:
> Can a mirror limit your download speed ?
> Do a CDN url point to an existing mirror, or is it a diffeent server?
>
> Thank you.

I can confirm Mihai's observation: http://ftp.hostserver.de is
remarkable slow for 2~3 weeks, even from within Frankfurt. From memory
I'd say from around the week before xmas download rates dropped to
20kb/s what usually was ~2mb/s. The Austrian mirror gave me this morning
~4mb/s! I fetch like so:

export SERVER=http://ftp2.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots
export ARCH=amd64
export VERSION=64wget -4 --no-proxy --no-cache --no-cookies --backups=2 \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/BOOT{IA32,X64}.EFI \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/INSTALL.$ARCH \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/BUILDINFO \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/index.txt \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/SHA256{,.sig} \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/bsd{,.mp,.rd} \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/{base,comp,man}$VERSION.tgz \
    $SERVER/$ARCH/x{base,font,serv,share}$VERSION.tgz