>An area that I am personally interested in is running
>OpenBSD on fully open-source / binary-blob-free
>hardware: hardware where there is no proprietary
>firmware that could hide vendor backdoors, and
>ideally where even the design of the chip is available
>to the user for review.

(Heck yes)^2
Of course this is hours of deep conversation away
from something even approaching a realistic plan
of attack; but Paul, with his embedded sys leanings
might be in a good position to move things (slowly)
forward. To the benefit of all computer security, everywhere.
Personally, I envision a sort of "open source BIOS"
library in the distant future.  Something we jack in on jtag
if we have to.  There is no harm in *starting.*  Meanwhile,
my super productive Dell laptop can't keep me from wondering
what the SMM is doing during the SMI, while obsd or any other
OS sleeps.
-x*  every install.